Essential to the development of the brain, the central nervous system and the retina, DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid that the human body cannot manufacture. For a developing infant, that means they must rely on their mother's breast milk as a source.
Omega-3 oils are incredibly beneficial for both mothers and infants. During your pregnancy, polyunsaturated fatty acids are incorporated into fetal brain and retinal lipids. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), in particular, is needed to support the development and function of the central nervous system. Unfortunately, most pregnant women cannot obtain sufficient quantities in their diet. A study conducted on pregnant Canadian women found that 90% of participants fell below the suggested amount as calculated by Dietary Reference Intake recommendations.
Clinical trials revealed that higher intakes of DHA from fish or from supplementation resulted in infants with higher cognitive scores and higher IQ's. Increased DHA intake has also been linked to better sleep patterns, improved birth weights, enhanced immunity, a reduced risk of allergic disease, as well as preterm delivery.
Prenatal Omega-3 DHA offers concentrated DHA as well as 1000 IU of vitamin D per serving to further protect the health of mother and child.
Did You Know?
- With concerns over the mercury levels of fish, expectant mothers receive only 20-25% of the required levels of DHA.
- The risk of preterm delivery and low birth rate is higher in those mothers with low DHA intake.
- Studies have shown that DHA deficiency is linked to an increased risk of postpartum depression.
- Contains concentrated DHA for pregnant and nursing mothers.
- 1000 IU of vitamin D per serving.
- Molecularly distilled for purity.
- Also available in easy to swallow softgels.
Directions of Use
Pregnant and nursing mothers: Take 1 teaspoon of Platinum Prenatal Omega-3 DHA daily.